Sunday, February 14, 2010

It is. Or is it?

Forgive me if you think my title is inappropriate after you read but I hope you are able to see why I used it. Okay, back to my main post. I am sure that most of you here has been to at least one motivational talk in your life where they tell you to treasure what you currently have and be satisfied and things like that. Then they start showing you pictures of a very stressed up kid and say "do you hate studying?". Then they show you another picture of children from third world countries writing on the sand and tell you "they don't even have a proper classroom to conduct lessons." My first reactions are, yes of course I should treasure my time to study because they cannot even have a proper classroom or even shelter to conduct their lessons in. However, after thinking about it more, I realized, there seems to be some kind of mistake in this logic that I hate studying while they want to but cannot. Firstly, children nowadays do not hate studying, they just prefer to relax more than to doing work. Secondly, we are in a more developed country, we have i pods and computers and Facebook nowadays to distract us from studying, while they do not.

With all these distractions, children nowadays definitely would prefer all these things to homework whereas in third world countries, they have nothing to do except laze about, catch fish, or anything that they have done for over a decade. Of course if we let them study, they would love it as it is a change of activities for them instead of the usual stuff that they do.

Therefore, my take on this issue would be that, keep the message about treasuring whatever you have right now. Throw everything that they compare you to third world countries out of the window, because the living conditions between theirs and our's is imply too great for an equal or at least comparable comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment